Friday, May 04, 2007

Remember Kent State (1970-2007)

Of the four students shot to death, the closest was Jeffrey Miller, 270 feet from the National Guard. Miller was killed as he stood in an access road leading into the Prentice Hall parking lot.

Allison Krause was killed 330 feet from the Guard. She was ducking behind a car in the Prentice Hall parking lot with her boyfriend when a bullet hit the left side of her body.

William Schroeder, an ROTC member, was 390 feet from the Guard when he was killed by a bullet that went through the left side of his back.

Sandra Scheuer was killed by a bullet that went through the left front side of her neck as she was on her way to submit a paper for her Speech class. She was about 390 feet from the Guard in the Prentice Hall parking lot.

President Nixon's Scranton Commission Report concluded: "The indiscriminate firing of rifles into a crowd of students and the deaths that followed were unnecessary, unwarranted, and inexcusable" (President's Commission on Campus Unrest, p. 87).

6 Comments:

Blogger Alex Gildzen said...

last nite I was watching a comedy calld "Thank You for Smoking." & suddenly there was footage of the Kent State massacre. I was so unprepard for that I gaspd.

8:56 AM  
Blogger leftdog said...

Thanks for this post. I was 18 at the time and was attending university classes. I will never forget the disgust I felt on that day. I can still taste that disgust today.

Again, thanks for remembering.

leftdog

9:12 AM  
Blogger Pax Romano said...

I thought I was one of the few people who remembered this horrible day.

Thank you for posting this.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Shimmy said...

I can't imagine seeing those images irrupt into the middle of a comedy, Alex. It's tough enough when I see them on the news: part of me relieved that the broadcast media remembers, but part of me always wincing.

9:20 AM  
Blogger Shimmy said...

Thanks, leftdog and pax romano.

9:20 AM  
Blogger d nova said...

nice kitty!

thanx 4 visit n info.

ever need a new home, look me up.

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home