Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Song of Myself


She gave ten dollars for a ten cent hat and got some store-bought cat food for a mean eyed cat.

These days, she says, I feel my life just like a river running through the year of the cat.

A scrawny, contagious cat in a kennel -- she could be my heart.

The first time that I got it, I was just ten years old. I got it from some kitty next door. I went and see the doctor and he gave me the cure. I think I got it some more.

I met an alley cat pussyfootin' around till the break of dawn. Found me knocked out flat on my head.

Kitty at my foot, and I wanna touch it. I guess I'll just go walking -- the cat's no good for talking to.

The hobos of yesterday would always make a sign on the doorway of someone who was so very kind. They'd draw a cat on the sidewalk, where it wasn't hard to find, to help the next traveler -- ease their troubled mind.

Got shiny diamonds, like the eyes of a cat in the black and blue. Something is coming for you. You better get back, honky cat. Living in the city ain't where it's at.

When my little kitty gets out, there's gonna be a party -- a party, no doubt. Out in the wide world, kitty, far across the sea.

You got me jumping like a cat on the wall.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Get back, honky cat"--nice touch. It is important to paraphrase and quote the Great Seers of this world on occasion, so that you will be taken seriously by those of high intellectual caliber and deep thoughts.

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home